Abdul, the doorman




There are doormen and doormen. And there is Abdul. I used to think that doormen are a waste of resources in spite of the fact that I've always admired the strapping ones back home in India, with their puffed out chests, oiled and coiled moustaches and stiffly starched turbans. Later, I thought that automatic doors do the job so well and so neatly. Why waste able men to simply open doors? Till I met Abdul.

Abdul is the doorman at a private hospital in Singapore.

On Sunday night my little soccer star had a pain in his "knee bone" that he claimed in all earnestness, had been bothering him "for two years." Needless to say, I smiled, and went back to my reading.

On Monday morning a little maternal elf perked its head up and made me roll up my eldest one's pajamas only to see an angry red swelling on his knee. I panicked. The GP looked grave and did pretty much nothing to calm my nerves as she rattled off a list of possibilities...arthritis, infection, fracture...Visions of my son's soccer dreams fleetingly floated before my eyes. I bit my lips.

Somebody tugged at my skirt..."Amma, don't take etta (elder brother) to the hospital...people go to the hospital to die." Now this was serious.

I squatted down, held the worried four year old by his shoulders, looked deep into his dark, troubled eyes and said with all the love, firmness and confidence I could muster at that moment, "Darling, people go to the hospital to get better. They don't just die." That came nowhere near those profound statements moms in movies make, but thank God, he decided to believe his mom over the expert advice of his 3 year old nursery schoolmate.

We reached the hospital in thirty minutes, my forehead creased with worry, all my thoughts boiling over in a potful of panic, worry and guilt. As I hurriedly grabbed my bag, the door on my side opened magically and I looked up into a smiling, reassuring face. The doorman. Amidst a flurry of smiles and looks of concern, he muttered some soothing inanities and quickly opened the back door. "Do you need a wheelchair?"

"Uh..no, um..he's okay...thank you"

He quickly led us inside, made sure we were clear where to go and ran back to give parking directions to my hubby.

Every time, I've hurried to that hospital with a little bundle of worry in the backseat, Adbul has been there. Ever smiling, ever reassuring. Whatever the competencies of the doctors or nurses I meet later on, Abdul is the first person I meet. He is the first one to calm my nerves, to give me clear directions and make sure I reach where I need to reach in the shortest possible time....fairly crucial matters in the first few fumbling minutes on reaching a hospital, with a pain in the heart or a delirious kid in your arms.....

Thankfully, all the doctors I've met there have been very competent. But what brings me back to that hospital, again and again, is a feeling that they care. And it starts with the doorman.

Btw, the little soccer star is just fine :)

Image: FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Comments

  1. :) :)
    Its the little things which make the greatest difference, isnt it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love your style of narration Ganga. That was one swell read. The Abduls of the world make a lot of difference to the lives of others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really heart-warming to know such people exist. Among all the indifference we face otherwise. What was the problem with the soccer star? Any procedure had to be done?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Shail! Those were generous compliments indeed! Oh yes, they do make all the difference...

    The soccer star is fine, Roopz...he just had to rest (try telling an 8 yr old that!) anyways, it subsided in a day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. People like Abdul are like oasis in a desert. They are getting rarer,but destiny keeps sending them on our way just when we need them , to cheer us up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should probably send a note to the hospital about their excellent service and ofcourse mention the enthusiasm of our friendly neighborhood doorman Abdul :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, that is so sweet. Loved the way you've written this...like a story.
    Hope the soccer star is back to his game!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dash, well said...they do bring us cheer when we need it the most :)

    'Friendly neighborhood doorman' I like that, Vanitha! And sure I'll give the hospital a copy of the post :)

    Yes Pallavi, his knee is fine...today he came back with a bruised ear...sigh! boys will be...

    ReplyDelete
  9. totally love abdul without meeting him!! :)... and i really think moms with boys should get frequent visitor points or something in hospitals!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Arch, love the visitor points idea:)))))

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi ganga i saw your post on our site www.linq.in which featured in the top 10 recently added blogs. We at linq locate the best of indian blog posts and list them in order of popularity. To know your blog statistics please Click here.

    There are various tools offered by us to popularize blogs and make monetary benefits out of it.

    Alpesh
    alpesh@linq.in

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ganga!! I loved your calm and flowing narration. What stood out was the professionalism of Abdul. No matter how tech savvy we become, we still welcome the human touch. Are you allowed to tip the doorman and if so, I hope you did. A letter of appreciation as suggested below is a very good idea too! Keep posting often. Stella.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well said... Some events do leave a lasting impression..

    ReplyDelete
  14. wallet pg slot ผู้ให้บริการสล็อตออนไลน์ PG ผ่านการเติมเงินหนทาง True Money Wallet บริการเพิ่มเงินเกมสล็อต ที่กำลังเดินทางมาแรง พร้อม ที่จะมอบประสบการณ์การเล่นเกมสล็อตไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  15. สมัคร Slot PG หากคุณต้องการเข้าร่วมการเล่นเกมส์สล็อต PG คุณจำเป็นต้องทำการสมัครสมาชิกกับเว็บไซต์ของ PG SLOTก่อน

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts