When the little boy smashed his beak

Sonny boy smashed his face against my heavy duty arms and pulled back, his little nose reddening and face squirming with pain.

"Goodness, Nandu, what the......" I started, rubbing my hurting arm.
I stopped, seeing Nandu's brimming eyes...
"But amma, Jafar's bird smashed his beak against the door and he's okay!"

Groan.....how do I explain to him that Jafar and his bird in Aladdin are not real, they are just cartoons? And that Tom, their favourite cat, can get flattened into a sheet and shiver back into shape, but that, well, isn't quite the order of things with little boys.

How do I explain all those subtle differences between real and unreal? That dinosaurs are not really real, while komodo dragons are; that ghosts and monsters are not real, but thieves and kidnappers are; that Barack Obama is actually Barack Obama, but Karan in HumTum is not Karan, but Saif Ali Khan and that the Khan takes on very many forms in different movies, but well, that's a little different from Vishnu taking on a dasha avatars?!!!

Comments

  1. He'll figure it out soon, all by himself; a shade quicker than us all, I suppose :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my darling lit'l Nandu! His nose is ok? I'm more worried about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Abhilash, that's what wise people say, but I just hope, in the meantime, he doesn't try too many Tomychan stunts!

    His nose is perfectly all right, it's just that he's totally baffled :))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice :) Kids are the cutest when they are curious aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. thot i had commented earlier...sorry...just wanted to say that i am having a similar problem....thanks to Mr Bean!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute, yes, Dreamer...i am just hoping he doesn't break too many bones trying to figure out which is real and which is not :)))

    That's another one, Arch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He he! LOL! Kids, I think are smarter than we imagine them to be :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness! Thats very deep...sometimes, we fail to comprehend the difference ourselves...I could take about myself atleast...I mean you have to be delusional to write dark fiction, isnt it?

    Scribblers Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A cousin of mine once tried to fly like Hanuman after watching a movie and landed with a bump that he never ever forgot! :) I had that in mind when educating my little monkeys on what's real and what isn't. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Usually I do not post on blogs, but I would like to say that this article really forced me to do so! Thanks, really nice article.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts