Amma!

After 9 years of motherhood….

“Amma…,” he lisped…

And I swooned.

After nine months of waddling like a rubber ducky, six months of zombie nights, one year of colicky nighttime vigil, and all the zillions of stuff you do to raise kids without causing too much damage...the least you expect is a quiet acknowledgment over the guy who scurried off to the other room to have a peaceful night of sleep. But no, despite all my maternal 'sacrifices' I had resigned to being the second favourite or at the most, an unfair equal in the all-time favourite parenting contest…‘kuttu, ammede monaano, achante monaano?” (A silly game in Mallu circles…kinda means “are you mummy’s son or daddy’s son?” A rather dumb question, considering that it takes two to tango!)

Anyways,...whaddaya think? Having three kids heightens the chances of landing the much anticipated answer??? Na, na, na....nope....no way...2 out of 3 turned out to be diplomats…the question would either be met with a coy smile or with a deft change to some inane discussion of.....Power Rangers, of all things!

But, yesterday…after 9 years of motherhood…one whispered the golden word… “amma!”

I couldn’t believe my silly ringing ears! The spouse’s face fell a little. To make sure it hadn’t been an accidental slip of the tongue, he hopefully repeated the question. Pat came the firm answer, “Amma!”


Yea, ye, ye , ye, yea!!!!!

Comments

  1. Awww...God bless the little darling!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hip, hip, hurrah!
    Moments of bliss for a mom! Btw who is the 'amma mon' tho' I've guessed already?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everybody!

    But, loyalties can be quite fickle in a 5 year old's life...today's "amma mon" can be tomorrow's "acha mon" :)))

    Anyways, doesn't matter as long as they continue caring...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss :)))))))))) Who's that darling, chechi ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me like!
    mou

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me like!
    mou

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try guessing, Anjukutty :)))Btw, the first guesser guessed wrong!

    Me too, Mou!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually don’t post in Blogs but your blog forced me to, amazing work.. beautiful …

    ReplyDelete
  9. ha ha...the joys of life!!! enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Anonymous, you are very generous with your words...anyways, thank you, you made my day :)))

    Indeed, Arch! Enjoy while it lasts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This question is asked every house..and I sympathise with kids:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do agree with Renu...Such Q should never be asked to kids.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Motherhood bliss or....
    I agree with what anonymous said that children should not be compelled to make such choices...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Renu, thanks for dropping by :) Oh yes, poor things, my complete sympathies are with them!!!!!

    Absolutely, anonymous...it's as silly as silly can get!!!

    Hi Shas, welcome to a Slice of life! Fully agree....check out Diary of a Wimpy Kid....it's a beautiful series of books written from a kid's point of view....God, don't all of us parents appear to be absolute dorks, asking and doing such stupid stuff :))))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ganga,

    Your experience just brought me some hope ! My elder one is almost 6 now and has always been a "acha's mon".... I guess I will have to keep waiting for another few years to turn the choice in my favout ! But there is hope atleast :)

    -Suhana

    ReplyDelete
  16. Took me time to read the whole article, the article is great but the comments bring more brainstorm ideas, thanks.

    - Johnson

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts