The happiness quotient...

Images: FreeDigitalPhotos.net



"My son has been sleeping on his own since he was three!"
"I simply decorated his room with Spiderman stickers and he happily moved in...ta..da"
"Oh...it was a breeze..."
That's the gist of the depressing comments I used to hear from my friends. Everyone seemed to have done a beautiful job of moving their little boys and girls into fabulously decorated rooms of their own when they were as little as three or even one!

And me, the loser among all these super moms...here I was struggling to keep an 8 year old out of our bed! Shameful!

But, somewhere a little elf of a doubt persisted...what if my friends were wrong? Could the childcare pundits who advocate independence and individualism in kids be wrong? I don't know.

All that I know is, no longer able to bear the imploring looks and pleadings for one laaa....st night together (my little ones used to call the weekly Friday night community sleep...the 'family sleepover night') I finally gave in.

Now all five of us and a clutch of teddy bears sprawl out on a king sized bed pushed against another super single bed...little legs wrapped around me, stubby fingers rummaging my locks. Amidst muted giggles and quiet shushhs and the eternal fight for a corner of the comforter, we drift into a huggy, happy sleep, a Hotwheels car snoring contentedly under our pillow.

But you know what? I have a sneaking feeling that the happiness quotient in our family has simply shot up...their teachers wonder why the little ones are smiling more these days...and I wonder why I am feeling a trifle happier...

Comments

  1. That warmed me to the cockles of my heart.... :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ganga,
    CAme across your blog from Deepa's. Very sweet post, this. Vivid writing. BTW, are you related to K.T.Dhanesh who used to work in Orbitech Chennai?
    Cheers..
    Pallavi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you...glad you liked it :)
    Yup, he's the spouse! What a small world :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! I've even seen u once (on a Saturday, I think) with your son. But I distinctly remember Dhanesh saying you were totally uninterested in computers/tech stuff. U've got a grt blog going here!! Glad to hv met u :-)
    - Pallavi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to have met u too:) really liked your blog...nice funny entries...could identify with most of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I exactly know how you feel :). And I am so happy that I don't have to feel that guilty about S sleeping with us still :D. Wonderfully written - I enjoyed the whole "sleep" paragraph

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Roopz...why do we feel so guilty about it given that we grew up cuddling our ammumma or amma at night? Those cuddles are kiddy privileges :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smiled through the whole post ganga...the best things in life really are free!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes Archie, though we seldom realize it :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I often used to wonder whether we are doing the right thing by practising co-sleeping. Your post and the comments give me a sense of confidence of being in the right track. I personally believe that co-sleeping will develop family bonding and most importantly a sense of security in children. Why not give our children the simple pleasures that we experienced as kids!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you said it, vanitha! absolutely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Am I the only different one here?? *wonders* I have mostly always managed to make the children like what I have planned for them! :P And mind you I have had to listen to comments from near and dear ones who think even 21 or even 50+ is too soon to cut the umbilical cord.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you :) But this is an area where I feel kids deserve better than a teddy bear to hug to sleep...and it has more to do with a sense of security and a right or a privilege than about the cord. As for u. cord..we are on slippery ground...i suppose it's finally a matter of choice...some folks cut it early, some folks late and some folks never do:) And none of these is right or wrong...just choices we make and live with, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Three cheers Ganga
    I was feeling guilty of letting my 9 yr old sleep with us. True it increases the family bonding ,when they r with u why need a teddy bear.Good writing dear. Keep on.Your blog is one of my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ganga, check my space when you get time. There is a little something for you in there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful!!! Esp. the whole family sleepover thing.

    And may that happiness quotient stay up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Surya, thanks for visiting! Looks like there are quite a few of us with 8 and 9 year olds jumping into bed with us...at least it's good to speak up and feel all right about it. Glad you like the blog :)

    Usha, great to have you drop by! and yes, I also do hope the quotient stays right up there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. totally cute! :D

    Scribblers Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Scribbler, thank you. Glad you stopped by :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts