The friendly neighbourhood provision man

Photo by Artem Beliaikin from Pexels


Saw Wall-E.
Felt sad.
Earthlings destroying their planet with skyscraper high tons of garbage…cola cans, juice bottles, cereal boxes…a silent outcome of our excessive obsession with convenience living.

Suddenly thought of Mani….that was his name…I think. Most of you might know a Mani. The one I knew had a small provision store around the corner from my grandmother’s house. The store had a thatched roof, its dry gray coconut leaves straggling down from the edges touching the heads of shoppers. One had to duck under them to see a busy but smiling Mani amidst heaps of rice, pulses of many hues, salt and sugar bursting out of large brown jute bags and his cheerful welcome enquiring about everyone at home. Whatever we needed would be whipped out with a skillfulness that verged on the magical. A sharp twist and turn of the previous day’s newspaper and presto! there would be a large paper cone in his blue veined hand, into which he would scoop with equal dexterity a heap of small red round onions, the kind my grandmother asserted, was excellent for aviyal (for the uninitiated in Kerala cuisine, aviyal is a mild preparation of mixed vegetables blended with yoghurt and grated coconut, topped with a generous dollop of coconut oil). The spectacle that followed -- the wrapping of the paper cone, now bulging with plump red onions -- was nothing short of spectacular. He would flip down the edges of the cone smartly, whip a piece of grey coir string, bind it swiftly around the cone and tie a knot with a flourish I am sure only provision store Manis can create.

Mani’s store is still around. But hardly anybody throngs his storefront.

Folks shop at air conditioned grocery stores, stuffed with lines of ravishing bags and boxes of everything one could think of…oranges from South Africa, plums from California, pumpkins from Japan, jelly from Malaysia…dumped irreverently into plastic bags by too-busy-to-chat strangers at the cash counter.Sigh…

Folks might call this wishful romanticizing of mom and pop stores of olden days, but I couldn’t help but muse that Mani’s provision store with his heap of yesterdays’ newspapers and coir strings was a far more sustainable model, a shopping experience tinged with merry camaraderie, courtesy the friendly neighborhood provision man.

Comments

  1. Ahh the neighborhood provision store! Sigh. But I somehow prefer going to the stores where I can choose things for myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the choice is certainly alluring...i also love to pick mangoes from south africa and raisins from california...just that it sets me thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer my anonymity, so I guess I would choose a big department store. But I understand the charm of friendly neighborhoods :).

    And do you put shallots in aviyal? I guess towards the northern part of Kerala, we don't. Hmmm..variety is the spice of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. monthly shopping at the dept store and any emergencies, we go running to the 'annachi' round the corner...best of both worlds i guess:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. While the Murugan Store round the corner has bailed me out of quite a few sticky situations, my loyalties are more with the Big Bag Supermarket Wolf!! I like the whole shopping experience - looking, feeling & smelling [ I say this at the risk of sounding retarded!]- at a department store. It would be a huge bonus if they paper bagged purchases!!!
    I don't use shallots in my avial but then, I don't use curd either... :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. onions in aviyal ? probabaly u meant "Thiyal"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh folks! this is becoming a discussion on aviyal recipes :)

    actually, i had initially written sambar...then made it aviyal...oh well, why fake it...now u know who cooks at home:)

    Ravi, glad to see u here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahahah "vengaya sambar" yummy ! why did u have to change it !! :-) nice blog u have .. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Ravi...glad u like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anu, nice one. Enjoyed reading it. Divya

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to have you back, Dikks! This is the shop opposite the tailor's where we used to wait for our school bus :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree, the charm of slow and simpler things in life, like the one which a mom and pop offers, is fast fading. And I too am saddened by it.
    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Ganga, You missed out on one more detail - the telephone in mani's shop ("alaipayudey" style) :)) That sure added a more personal touch to the whole experience.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, Sal...a lot of charm is vanishing indeed :(

    The black telephone with the long handle, a little smudged with grime...but working, nevertheless :)that's a nice one, Vanitha!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts